Congratulations on your new Home Care Package! This funding can positively impact the quality of your daily life. It offers necessary financial support to access services to enable you to remain living independently in your own home on your own terms.
When people receive a Home Care Package they usually can’t wait to get started with services but are unsure of where to start. There is also the government deadline to consider. You need to start your package before the government retracts the offer and gives your funding to someone else. Before you can start services though you must choose a government approved Home Care Package Provider that is suitable to you. You may have already started this process and have found it hard to compare Providers and began to wonder what makes them different! You may also be overwhelmed with the number of Providers that can serve your area. If this is the case for you then read on. We can help!
The main differences between Provideres are fees, quality of customer servcie and experience. Fees can have a huge impact on how much care you’ll receive from your package and each Provider charges in a slightly different way. Although fees should be a big consideration so should be customer service. Good Providers take a highly personalised approach with their clients while others take a set and forget approach. A Provider’s experience is also an important consideration. Most likely you don’t want a Provider that has set up shop last week!
Here’s what you should look out for with Providers:
- Some providers charge low initial fees but then add additional charges for Case Management assistance outside your initial set-up and for the six monthly reviews.
- Another model that some Providers use is to advertise extremely low or zero fees but charge a large set-up or membership fee. This deters clients from switching if they are unhappy as they’ve already used so much of their package upfront!
- Being able to contact your dedicated Case/Care Manager if any issues or problems arise should be a painless and easy process. Some providers require you to contact a call centre should you need to speak to a Case/Care Manager.
- Some providers only allow you to choose who provides your services from their panel which they have a prior ‘Service Agreement’ and financial arrangement with. Others charge an additional fee to set up an agreement with service providers that you may wish to use.
- Find out the rate per hour you will be charged for carers. This amount can differ greatly. If you are paying a high amount for care you are getting less value from your package.
- Some providers charge a set-up fee for all Service Providers you wish to use (carers, podiatrists, physiotherapist, gardeners etc.) and also add a surcharge on top of the services you are paying for.
- If you choose to change service providers and take your Home Care package elsewhere, your existing provider may charge an exit fee and it can be hefty. The amount should be clearly stated on the Home Care Agreement between you and your service provider.
- You should ask how long a Provider has been in business and if they have any customer case studies that they could share with you. Experienced Providers know best practices in home care and have dealt with a variety of circumstances which will benefit you long term.
Curious about how Better Living Homecare stacks up?
Better Living Homecare is an Australian Government Approved Home Care Package Provider with over 30 years experience in the delivery of home care support. We know, from experience, that if people have choice and control over the care they receive that they are much happier and more likely to thrive. We believe everyone is an individual with unique circumstances and requirements; our job is to assist in finding the supports that best suit those needs.
Our goal is to help you get the most benefit from your Home Care Package. We enable you to use more of your funds where it is important – on you! Better Living Homecare are able to offer low fixed fees because we have kept our overheads low. There are no big fancy offices or tiers of management. We just have a dedicated team of professionals with the experience and skills to assist you.
We believe that you should get to choose who provides the care and services you receive in your home. If you have existing services and supports that you are happy with, they can stay with you and be paid for by your Home Care Package. Alternatively, if you do not like the current services you receive or do not know who can provide the services you want, relax, Better Living Homecare have relationships with a large network of service providers including support workers, gardeners, podiatrists, physiotherapists, and home maintenance providers. We ensure our service providers are reputable businesses with police checks and all applicable insurances in place. We check their references and keep in touch to ensure the service is running as it should.
At Better Living Homecare our charges are fixed, with no hidden fees. You are free to use the services of any service provider you wish with no financial penalty to the package. By having a fixed fee you have certainty knowing from week to week how many hours of care you will receive. We strongly believe the Home Care Package should be used to enable the maximum amount of care.